Today’s post brings you three pieces of news about the race:
1. Cue sheet. The 2013 cue sheet is posted on the race bible page and is also linked here. You have the excel file so that you can manipulate the sheet to suit your preferred font size, colour coding system, language, page size, etc. Â A hard copy will be in your racer kit in a ziploc bag, but feel free to make your own version to meet your needs. Note that the file has two pages: metric and imperial. You’ll also notice that the race is only 118km this year. Â The distance varies a bit each year based on the amount of frozen lake/river that we can use. Since the Seine River has water over the ice the route is a little shorter than last year. But the deep snow will have everyone zigging and zagging down the trail a bit, so don’t worry, you’ll get your miles in.
GPS file is coming. Also, Vern Nelson (GPS guru) will be at the pre-race meeting on Friday night with a laptop and the files and can *probably* help with loading it on to your device. Â I say probably because if you have some crazy/broken old unit (or some new-fangled thing) there is always the chance that even the guru can’t load the files up for you. But he’ll try.
2. Cutoff times. Per the race bible, there is a cutoff time at Niverville (halfway). The cutoff is being pushed back from 7:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. based on the deep snow early in the course. Â This is the time you have to be out of the checkpoint. The cutoff is there both for your safety and for our volunteers (who are all giving a lot of time, and need to go home to bed at some point).
3. Shuttle to the start line. Thanks to assistance from Vital Transit, we have a bus available to take racers to the start line at a discounted cost of $10 per passenger. Bikes will be travelling in an enclosed trailer. Â If you haven’t signed up already by email or when you registered, please let us know ASAP if you want to be shuttled and where you want to be picked up. Here are the details about the shuttle:
- Pickup #1: 5:00 a.m. SHARP at the Forks, corner of Waterfront Drive and York Avenue. You can park your car in the lot at Waterfront and York all day, for free – this lot is about 5 minutes walk from the finish line.
- Pickup #2: 5:30 a.m. at CIBC parking lot at St. Vital Mall (southwest corner of mall parking lot). Be there on time, bus will be there at 5:30 or as soon as possible based on departure from Forks. Leave cars on adjacent streets where all day parking is allowed or else take your chances with the mall parking rules. We will try to get you back to your vehicle, but we’ll be relying on volunteers who are supporting racers still on the course, so you may be in for a wait. Having someone meet you at the finish is an excellent idea.
- Arrival at St. Malo Arena: Approximately 6:40 a.m. Â You’ll have access to indoor washrooms, water, coffee & snacks for purchase. We’ll get runners ready and started at 7 a.m. Cyclists will have ample time to unpack bikes from trailer before their start at 8 a.m. If bus arrival is very close to start time, we will hold the running start a few minutes; cutoff times will be adjusted accordingly.